A third case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Lagos, Nigeria.
The state’s Commissioner of Health, Akin Abayomi, revealed this at a press briefing on Tuesday.
Her identity is given as a 30-year-old Nigerian lady and her case is “independent of the index case”.
She returned from the UK on March 13 and was under self-isolation, where she developed symptoms and eventually tested positive.
Abayomi confirmed that the patient is currently receiving treatment at the Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.
The Commissioner also noted that, “contact tracing of all passengers and all those who may have come in contact with this latest case has commenced”.
This development comes days after the state government confirmed that the second case was now free of the virus.
Third case of #COVID19NIGERIA confirmed in Lagos.
– This is a new case independent of the index case
– 30 year old Nigerian, female
– Returned from the UK on 13th March
– Observed self-Isolation, developed symptoms
– Tested positive
– Now at Mainland GH receiving care pic.twitter.com/f8osZk4Ba4
— LSMOH (@LSMOH) March 17, 2020