Salah leads Messi in race for Golden Shoe [See top 10]
Liverpool winger, Mohamed Salah, is on course to win the Golden shoe, an award given to the player with the most goals in Europe.
Salah netted four times against Watford last Saturday, to take his league tally to 28 for the season, three more than his nearest challenger, Lionel Messi of Barcelona.
He will become the only second Premier League player in the last 11 seasons to win the Golden Shoe, if he indeed finishes ahead of the Argentine superstar.
Salah will also emulate former Liverpool striker, Luis Suarez, who shared the accolade with Cristiano Ronaldo in 2013/2014 when both scored 31 goals.
The Golden Shoe table is ranked on points rather than goals, with goals scored in Europe’s top five leagues worth two points.
Messi is the current holder of the Golden Shoe, with the Argentine winning it four times. Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo has won it four times too.
The top 10 after Sunday’s games are:
- Mohamed Salah, Liverpool, 56 points (28 goals)
- Lionel Messi, Barcelona, 50 (25)
- Edinson Cavani, Paris Saint-Germain, 48 (24)
- Ciro Immobile, Lazio, 48 (24)
- Harry Kane, Tottenham Hotspur, 48 (24)
- Jonas, Benfica, 46.5 (31)
- Robert Lewandowski, Bayern Munich, 46 (23)
- Mauro Icardi, Inter Milan, 44 (22)
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid, 44 (22)
- Sergio Aguero, Manchester City, 42 (21)
- Luis Suarez, Barcelona, 42 (21)